The City of Camas has made sand and sandbags available for emergency use to city residents at its Operations Center at 1620 SE 8th Avenue and at 4010 NW Astor Street, near NW 38th Avenue (bags to fill are in the garbage can).
These sandbagging locations are "self-serve” with shovels available for use. Sandbags should be filled only half full. Smaller bags pack tighter and are easier to handle, thus avoiding back injuries. Overfilled bags are unstable when stacked and can leave gaps that allow water to flow through.
If water is pooling around a storm drain and beginning to cause localized flooding, provided conditions are safe, residents may rake leaves and debris from around drains to allow free water flow. While Public Works maintenance crews do respond to calls for assistance, during heavy rains, they may not be able to get to each storm drain as quickly as desired.
To report localized flooding, please contact the Public Works Operations Department, Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at (360) 817-1563. For after-hours emergencies please call (360) 737-0592.
Here are a few safety tips for the rainy season:
- Stay informed of weather conditions in your area
- Avoid unnecessary trips during stormy weather and advise others of your destination
- Avoid areas that are subject to sudden flooding
- Keep children and pets away from creeks, flood waters and storm drains
- Do not attempt to walk through flood waters or flowing streams; instead, turn around and go directly to higher ground
- If in a car, drive away from flooded areas; never try to take a shortcut through them and if your car stalls, immediately abandon it and climb to higher ground
- Do not "sightsee" in flooded areas
- Do not try to enter areas closed off by local authorities
- If flooding is likely, and time permits, move valuable household possessions to the upper floors of your home or to safe ground
- Have emergency supplies on hand to last for at least three days; food, bottled water, first aid supplies, medicines, battery-operated radio and extra batteries
- In flood-prone areas keep sandbags, plastic sheeting and other emergency building materials on hand for use.