Definition and Application Procedure
A solicitor/hawker/peddler license is required for each individual who may go from home to home, on City streets or sidewalks, or other public places within the city limits to sell or solicit orders for goods. Licenses do not cover the business; each person selling on behalf of a business must have an individual license.
An application can be obtained online or in person, and then the completed form must be submitted to the Finance Department along with an investigative fee of $52. A copy of the individual’s valid Driver’s License or other accepted photo ID must be submitted with the application. Applicants will then be fingerprinted at the Camas Police Department. Fingerprinting will be available on Wednesday's from 1:30-4:30 pm at the Camas Police Station located at 2100 NE 3rd Ave.
After the Police Department completes a background check and it comes back satisfactory, the applicant shall then pay an additional $35 at the Finance Department for the license. If an application is denied, the applicant will be notified of the denial.
A license is valid through the end of the calendar year in which it was issued. Applicants renewing a license from the prior calendar year will be exempt from paying the fee for their background check. Applicants who have allowed a renewal to lapse will be treated as new applicants and will be required to undergo the investigative portion of the application again.
Submitting an application for a license, or picking up the license itself can only be done in person at the Finance Department in City Hall between the hours of 9am and 5pm M-F. Payment can be made with cash, check, money order, Visa, MasterCard, or Discover Card.
- Make sure the information on your application is clear and legible so there is no delay in processing.
- All areas of the application should be completed.
- We ask that you DO NOT list relatives (family members) or employers as your references.
- We prefer that you use Washington State residents whenever possible.
- Make sure you include current contact information for your references. Invalid information may delay processing.
- Please present a valid form of photo identification when submitting your application; such as a Driver’s License, State ID Card, Passport, or Military ID.
- The Finance Department will make a photocopy of your photo identification and submit it with your application for background check purposes.