Load Full Menu

This is a partial list, for accurate answers to your building questions, please contact one of our staff members.

City of Camas Design Requirements:

  • Roof Snow Load - 25 lbs/ feet 2
  • Wind Speed (Gust) - 135 mph, 3 second
  • Seismic Design Category - D 1
  • Weathering Frost Line Depth - 12"
  • Termites slight
  • Decay Moderate
  • Winter Design Temp - 22 deg F
  • Ice Shield Underlay - No
  • Flood Hazard - See FEMA maps
  • Air Freeze Index - 250
  • Mean Annual Temp - 50 deg

How long does it take to review a set of plans?

  • For residential projects, the time varies depending on the volume of plans being reviewed.  Please check with our staff at the time of your submittal. Commercial projects vary in plan review time depending on the type of project.

Do I need a permit to build a deck?

  • Yes. Please note the following exception: Decks that do not exceed 200 square feet in area; that are not more than 30 inches above grade at any point; that are not attached to a dwelling; and do not serve as an exit door as required by the International Residential Code, Section R311.4.
  • To obtain the permit you will need to submit two sets of construction drawings, two site plans, and proof of ownership. Check with our staff for residential deck handouts and further information.

Do I need a permit for a retaining wall?

  • A building permit is not required for retaining walls that are less than four feet in height.The height is measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall unless it supports a surcharge.

Can we submit plans to build on a lot in a subdivision that is not recorded yet?

  • No. The subdivision needs final acceptance and needs to be recorded with Clark County.

What are your hours of business?

  • The Building Division is open to the public Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. City staff will not be able to accept applications, issue permits or receipts after 4:00 p.m.

Do I have to pay all of the fees before I can pick up my permit?

  • All permit fees, plan review, impact fees, and system development charges must be paid prior to permit issuance.

Will you mail me a certificate of occupancy when my house is approved to occupy?

  • We do not issue separate certificates of occupancy for single-family residential construction. When the inspector signs the box in the bottom right hand corner on the back of the inspection card/permit, you have the right to occupy the building. This is your Certificate of Occupancy.

You will need a permit for the following:

  • Re-roofing.
  • Carport, plan submittal and plan review is required.
  • Gas and water piping, sanitary piping alterations and hose bibs.
  • Additions, alterations and interior remodeling.  Plan submittal and plan review is required.
  • Water Heaters – a permit is required for new installations and replacements.
  • Woodstove.

You will not need a permit for the following:

  • Appliance replacement, if there is no modification or re-location to the gas and plumbing lines.
  • Replacement of plumbing fixtures without any alterations to the plumbing system.
  • Storage or garden shed, one-story detached accessory buildings over 120 square feet do require a permit.  Plans will need to be submitted for review.
  • Swimming pools, above ground swimming pools and spas that are less than 5,000 gallons.
  • Fences restrictions may apply.
  • Painting or wallpaper.
  • Window awnings, residential window awnings that are supported by an exterior wall.
My Camas
Go to top