Residents can receive utility-bill discounts for services and purchases with Camas merchants
CAMAS, Wash. (April 10, 2020) – Earlier this week, the City of Camas Finance department rolled out new ways for residents in arrears and small businesses of fewer than 50 employees to ease the burden of utility payments. Today they announce an additional COVID-19 promotion called “Support Local & Save,” aimed at lowering residential utility bills while supporting Camas merchants.
The new program, which begins April 11, is based on the City of Newberg, Oregon’s Support Local Challenge. Here’s how it works:
- Residents are encouraged to make shopping and dining purchases from Camas merchants in the downtown area and throughout the city.
- Eligible purchases include gift cards, food, goods and services.
- Residents save their receipts showing the business name, date, and amount of purchase.
- Residents may submit to City of Camas a total of $125 in receipts for a total savings of $75.
- When they have a total of $25 in receipts (this could be one receipt or multiple), they are eligible to receive $15 off their utility bill.
- Residents can then email a scan or photo of the receipts to email@example.com, mail them to City of Camas Finance Department, 616 NE 4th Ave, Camas WA 98607, or drop them in the City Hall drop box.
- All receipts must be accompanied by the name on the utility account, account number, address and contact phone or email.
- Support Local & Save will begin on Sat., April 11, and run through
May 4, the current end date of Governor Inslee’s Stay Home, Stay Healthy proclamation; the City will reassess the program’s duration as the COVID-19 situation evolves.
- UPDATED: 4/21 Council voted, on 4/20, to extend the duration of the "Support Local & Save" initiative until May 31.
“I challenge everyone who can to ‘Support Local & Save,’” rallied City of Camas Mayor Barry McDonnell. “Camas merchants are doing a great job of coming up with inventive ways to offer gift cards, food, goods and services that allow residents to stay home and stay healthy. Now we can shop, dine and save on utilities.”
For questions about the program, please visit www.cityofcamas.us/supportlocal or contact the City of Camas Finance Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-834-2462, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Finance staff will also be on hand to answer questions and enroll residents currently in arrears and small businesses in incorporated Camas with fewer than 50 employees.
The City will continue to monitor feedback from residents and businesses, as well as the guidance of public agencies, to determine future modifications and support mechanisms. For an up-to-date listing of changes to city programming and operations during the COVID-19 crisis, the public is encouraged to visit www.cityofcamas.us/ourcommunity/covid-19.
Members of the public who have a need or concern may contact email@example.com or 360-834-6864. For assistance with errands, food, supplies, and more, residents may call the City of Camas Resource Helpline, 360- 382-1300, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.- 6 p.m.